Thunder in the Glens 2016
For motorbike enthusiasts or those who have a real need for speed, the Thunder in the Glens event is one of the top events in the UK for Harley-Davidson fans. Bikers and fans travel from all over the world to enjoy this unique two-day event. Thunder in the Glens is officially the largest Harley-Davidson rally in the UK, with more and more fans joining the event each year. More bikes have pre-registered than ever before, with more than 5,000 bikes expected to join the event. And in its 20th anniversary year, it’s sure to be something special!
The event includes entertainment, rallies and trade stands, allowing bikers and members of the public to buy merchandise or even try riding a majestic Harley-Davidson for themselves. This year, over 3,000 people are expected to spend the weekend at the event, with many riders heading out into Aviemore and the Cairngorms on scenic rides.
The campsite and event spreads over the resort, with tents for evening entertainment, trade stands, food stalls and areas for bike rides. Events and facilities include:
- Over 60 trade stands supporting local charities and groups – pick up some official merchandise or gear
- Harley-Davidson demo bike rides, Jeep demo drives or custom bike shows
- Outside entertainment – discos, cover bands, acoustic sessions, rock shows etc.
- Scottish Knights battle displays
- ‘Taste of Scotland’ event
- Chainsaw wood carving shows
- Off-road motorbike riding
- Saturday midday big ‘Ride Out’
- Final night fireworks display
The Saturday mass Ride Out from Aviemore to Grantown-on-Spey starts at noon, with more than 1,500 bikers expected to take part. On Sunday from 2pm to 4pm there will be charity rides on the back of a Harley-Davidson in the Rally Village.
- Register for the Ladies of Harley Afternoon Tea Ride, where bikers will take a scenic 30-mile drive to the Highland Folk Museum. There will, of course, be a visit to the museum and a stop for tea along the way. Wear something tartan!
- The Culloden Battlefield Ride starts with a ride out to Culloden Moor and the NTS Visitor Centre to learn about Bonnie Prince Charlie and the Jacobite Rebellion. Enjoy a reduced entrance fee to the Visitor Centre.
- The Motor Museum Ride involves a picturesque ride to Moray Motor Museum for a private tour with a lunch stop at the Harbour Restaurant in Lossiemouth.
You need to have registered for the rally first before you register for a ride. Ride numbers are limited so make sure you register your interest in advance! Entry to evening entertainment on the rally site is by registration only. Pre-registration is now closed for the event, but you can still register on the day for £45 per person.
Staying at Hilton Coylumbridge
If you’re heading to Thunder in the Glens 2016 for the day’s festivities or the evening entertainment, you might need somewhere comfortable and stylish to rest your head for the weekend. Hilton Coylumbridge is a 2-minute drive from the event site and only a 5-minute drive from Aviemore Train Station, which is a 4-minute walk from the Thunder in the Glens arena.
Hilton Coylumbridge is a family-friendly hotel with guest rooms, family rooms and family suites, a playpark, the Funhouse soft play area, a swimming pool and gym, and plenty of outdoor adventures to be had.